Monday, May 5, 2014

Being a Dirty, Filthy, Food Sneak!

When you become a mom all kinds of things happen.  Hair brushing becomes optional.  You learn how to enjoy three seconds of blissful chocolate eating in the bathroom/closet/dark pantry.  You deal with being used as a human kleenex far, FAR too often.  Most importantly though you learn how to be a dirty filthy food hider.

So I've been so incredibly busy here lately just living life.  In short I haven't finished any projects in a few weeks.  So I thought I would share my favorite way to sneak veggies into my kiddos meals.  When I buy ground meat I always mince up vegetables, and sauté them and cook them with the meat.


In there I have 4 carrots, 4 celery stalks, 2 zucchini, and an onion. (I've also used cabbage before too)

I ninja'ed the heck out of it until it is all super tiny.  Then I put a little bit of olive oil in the bottom of a ginormous (actual word, I swear) pan, seasoned it with salt/pepper, and lightly sauté it all. After a few minutes I put in the ground meat.


Maybe I should have said that we eat super lean ground turkey here.  I have strong opinions about the fat content of meat.  I also have strong opinions about spending tons of money on groceries.  FYI:  super lean ground turkey is WAY cheaper than super lean ground beef.



The vegetables will create more drippings than just browning your ground meat alone so make sure to drain it.


And that ladies and gentlemen is how I turned 3 pounds of lean ground turkey into 6 pounds worth.

This mixture is great for sloppy joes, chili, taco meat, soup, and every type of casserole that calls for ground meat.

The best is that I have been doing this for years, and it wasn't until this year with the girls home all the time that they even figured out that this is how we have been eating it.  I love that they didn't even notice.  

And on that note please don't tell the horde that regular rice is white, and not brownish and chewy...okay?  Thanks.  


Linked up at: internationalbloggersassociation.com

No comments:

Post a Comment