Friday, August 21, 2015

Monkeys Begone



I don't have first hand knowledge, but I understand that monkeys are notorious poop flingers.  That being said that is not the precedence I want to set for one of my bathrooms.  Poop should never fling within the walls of this house.  Also it takes a super special chic to pull off monkey decor in a grown-up space.  I'm awesome, cool, quirky, delightful even, and special I'll grant you...but not that special though.

But even though Señor Hotness also hated the monkeys...he liked that the room looked "finished".


Here are a few up close pictures of the little buggers.




Yikes.  Now for the feel good tear down pictures.


This was more than a little therapeutic.


It came down so easily


Its like it was meant to be.


I'm not one to post potty pictures, but I have to say that behind the toilet was the hardest area to remove the wallpaper.  It came off the wall really well, but getting it loose of the pipes necessitated using scissors to get it off.  I don't think its possible to break plumbing with wallpaper, but I really didn't want to push my luck.

Señor Hotness REALLY hated it after I took it down.  The wall under the paper wasn't textured, and wasn't nice and smooth.  It was pitted, and pock marked, and I had no intention of fixing it right away.  I was simply going to paint over it.  It'll look ugly he said.  People will notice he said.  I was thinking how often do you check out other peoples wall texture when you are taking care of business?  Am I right?  I know that I never analyze walls in detail when I'm on the toilet. (You'll all collectively start checking out wall texture now when visiting a friends potty room I bet.)

So after I had filled all of the nail holes I primed the walls, and then I busted out paint that I have literally moved around with me twice.  It was left over paint from our living room in Texas.  Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue.  I was beginning to think that maybe it wasn't the right color.  Maybe it wasn't as awesome as I remember it.  I'm proud to report that its just as awesome as I remember.  The teen and the tween both want this color gracing the walls in their rooms, but they change their minds about twice a day (if I'm lucky), about EVERYTHING, so we'll see if that really happens.

So in short I chose to deal with awesome paint over weirdly textured walls instead of enduring the monkeys for a while until I was able to give this bathroom the full force makeover that I envision.  But until then...



I started by cutting in all the edges, and getting all the tight areas painted by hand.  Mostly because that is the longest most tedious part of any paint job, and the part that I'm most likely to decide to put off until "later"...a.k.a. it would look awkward for months while I talked myself into doing it.   I'm not proud of being a procrastinator, but I can be honest about it.  If it doesn't happen first its not going to happen for a while.



Cutting in paint to the trim just using a brush is a perishable skill my friends.  If you don't use it you lose it.  As is apparent here.  The trim is actually all a cream color, and I'm wanting it a nice bright white so it will get fixed for sure.


Even this bucket is going to get a bit of a new look.


In my quest to snap a picture of the worst area of texture I neglected to take notice of the decapitated baby doll head.  Unfortunately this sort of thing is kind of the norm around here because my kids can be kind of creepy sometimes.


Painting behind this toilet was pretty much one of the worst things EVER.  Birthing a 10 pound baby at HOME was easier.  Ok, not really, but it was pretty stinky (get it?) trying to reach back there with my short arms.


These are old out dated switches that are actually starting to go out.  It sounds silly, but one of the biggest impacts you can do in a small space is pay attention to the switches.  They worked great when we moved in, but my kids, being the rough little heathens that they are, have a magical way of breaking things down.  Also as you can see there are a few touch ups that are left to be done.  It always amazes me how many white areas show up after everything dries.


In short I'd rather do a minor upgrade while I wait to do a major upgrade any day over living with a dated space that doesn't fit with our style.  While painting around a toilet is kind of a crappy task (pun totally intended).  Wonked out texture or not, it is completely worth the effort if it meant getting rid of the monkey scourge that was plaguing our guest bathroom.   

post signature

linked up at: the-chicken-chick.com, www.funkjunkinteriors.net, www.simplelifeofafirewife.com, savvysouthernstyle.net, jannolson.blogspot.com, www.shakentogetherlife.com, www.thededicatedhouse.com

6 comments:

  1. Hah poop flingers- I would never have made that critical connection. I suppose monkeys really are BAD bathroom decor aren't they? Great writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the after, that color looks so crisp and clean. Also I totally agree with you about painting behind the toilet, its a royal pain. Someone needs to invent something that makes it easier to paint behind there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, I couldn't have lived with that wallpaper. It was awful. Anything would have been a improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new color - even if it is temporary. Can't wait to see the new look. Thanks for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving this! You are so talented. Thanks for sharing this at our party. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm, so we get to party with you again! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love that color Sarah and I had a good laugh reading this with all of your fun puns! At least you don't have to worry about any monkey business going on in there now! :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete